Access to advisory services is one of the advantages to membership in the Council of Archives New Brunswick. Through an Archives Advisor and a Preservation Advisor the council is able to support and encourage the growth and maintenance of our province’s archival heritage.
Reporting to the CANB Executive, the Archives Advisor:
- Initiates and fosters relationships with member and potential member institutions
- Conducts onsite training to staff and volunteers of archives across the province
- Develops, organizes, and administers educational workshops and seminars
- Assists member institutions in the application and reporting components of external funding programs
- Provides professional and technical advice to member institutions in accordance with current archival standards, policies and procedures.
- Works with the Executive in support of the full range of Council activities including funding adjudication, membership, and meetings
- Coordinates with the Preservation Advisory Service to identify member needs and priorities
- Facilitates the upload of fonds descriptions from the provincial database into Archives Canada
- Promotes, encourages or otherwise enables archives-specific community activities/events
- Communicates with members and other heritage and cultural groups through several means including updating the Council’s website
In conjunction with the Archives Advisor, CANB members also have access to a Preservation Advisor.
Overall the goal of the CANB Preservation Services is to increase the capacity of CANB institutions to preserve their archival holdings. Services provided include:
- Educational opportunities: outreach, training, presentations, workshops.
- Preservation assessments: global and collection assessments to facilitate the institutions capacity to plan and implement preservation management strategies.
- Conservation treatments: provides access to a fully equipped paper conservation laboratory, and qualified staff.
- Holdings maintenance: access to stabilization treatments (cleaning, processing, boxing).
- Micrographic Services: access to micrographics unit producing microfilms to ANSI standards.
- Administration: CANB Preservation Supplies Programme, Preservation Library Resource Programme